14 October, 2010

Everything Happens for a Reason

There is a single sentence in the human language that just drives me crazy. "Everything happens for a reason". That is a down right bucket of crap right there. As a matter of fact everything doesn't happen for a reason. Actually things happen because of our actions. Things are not preordained to just happen. NO. This is why we have free will. This is why we have the ability to think for ourselves. If we didn't then by saying "Everything happens for a reason" is simply justifying yourself and not taking responsibility for your actions. You have just given up the right to think. We have agency but with that comes responsibility. Without consequences to reinforce what's right and what's wrong then that sentence "everything happens for a reason" is then made valid. Instead of stepping up and accepting the consequences, by admitting you did something wrong, you instead look to blame someone or something. For example, if I was to shoot someone and you asked me if I killed them I would say "no the bullet did. I just happened to be there when they died." or I could say "well everything happens for a reason and they were meant to die anyway I just stepped up and helped them out." No, I would go to jail for murder. Yes, that was an extreme example, sure, but what I'm trying to get at is that people can't just cop out and say everything happens for a reason. Things happen because we make choices and act on those choices and that's when things start to happen. Not before. You can play the "what-if" game all you want but when you get right down to it you made your choice. You can't go back. What's done is done. All you can do now is either continue doing good things or fix the things you messed up. But at least admit to yourself you messed up. Don't go around blaming everyone else for your problems. That's the most petty form of immaturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment