16 November, 2010

Floor vents are insufficient

So I asked my friend what I should blog about and he told me I should write about how floor vents are insufficient to cooling down a room. Now I had never really thought about this but it is an accurate statement. Since warm air rises and cool air falls, logically, a floor vent would be foolish to have for cooling a large room.

We have many floor vents in my work room and as Benjamin pointed out, our work room is often times too warm with all the bodies generating so much heat. Now if you think about it, the heat is hovering at the top of the room and with the vents on the floor the cool air is pooled at the bottom of the room. This doesn't allow good movement/circulation of air throughout the room. So what this tells me is that we have a lot of people who are hot heads and have cold feet. ;) just kidding. But really though, the most heat that people release off their bodies is off the top of their head. So adding that heat to the heat from everyone else in the room and it simply hovering above you with no motion of circulation, then your core body temperature is going to rise. Which creates perspiration, which explains the smell of the Academic Resource Center. Now I have been pondering the reason for why it smells so bad in the Center and now Ben, unwittingly, has given me the answer. If we had better ventilation of the room less people would sweat. Which would create a happier atmosphere in general, I would think.

No comments:

Post a Comment